Thursday, December 30, 2010

Ordinary Moments

December 27 – Ordinary Joy Our most profound joy is often experienced during ordinary moments. What was one of your most joyful ordinary moments this year?

Just so you know, I know I skipped a day. The 26th was asking about what food touched your soul. I love food, but no food touches me that deeply so I moved on. :)

When I think about this prompt, one moment specifically comes to mind. I had trucked up to Gainesville - for what I'm not really sure - but nonetheless, I was visiting my Mom & Dad. We had gone to Publix to pick up dinner and whatever else we could find for the evening. Anything from sangria to cheese to chips. We finally got back to the house, prepared the sangria and a couple trays of food, and headed downstairs to our family room to kick back and watch the Magic game.

Now, my Mom is not really one to say, "hey I really want to watch that ____ (pick any sporting event) today!" but she will definitely try her best to stay "in the know" about your teams and she'll most certainly watch with you. (I love that about her.) Anyway, I was sitting in one recliner, my Mom in the other, and my Dad was laying down on the couch and it just kind of realized that I live for those small moments of doing, well...nothing.

Remember when you were a kid and you were totally embarrassed to be even associated with your parents? Well, maybe you weren't but I kind of always was. (Sorry, Mom & Dad.) It wasn't "cool" to stay home and chill with your parents but strangely enough, as I get older, I crave that time with my parents. I want to just sit on the couch with them and tell stories about our day, help out in the kitchen or with little chores, or just snuggle up with my Mom and let her rub my hair. Those are the moments I think I will always remember. Those are the moments when I'm proud of who I call Mom and Dad because not only do I think they are pretty awesome but I know that I'm lucky to have them at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment